Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Detour to Home


San Angelo to Kerrville May 24th
When driving into San Angelo, I turn on the radio, first time in a while, mostly listening to tapes, I tune in the Austin station, about 5pm it's national news, not much has changed in a month. Why do I get caught up in the world news, why have we not learned to get along in a few thousand years!
There is mention of a folk festival in Kerrville, I spend the night mostly alone in the park, nice evening walk, a wonderful park host Jessie Faye, more in a minute.
Kerrville, where the hell is Kerrville, I look on the map around Austin, no Kerrville.
Back to the park, Jessie, alone here as a park host, an older independent woman, we talk, she is a hoot, left her husband behind, no divorce, she like’s living in Texas, her husband does not.
She is full of life and wonder, she needs a recipe for marshmallow icing, I have my James Beard cookbook get it out, and we are in business. When leaving Oregon , my friends Kim & Jeff give me presents, a 6-pack of good Oregon Beer, a pound of coffee, and a box of 34 rolls of Necco Wafers, my favorite candy, but too many. The car was packed just right, then we have the Neccos added, my box needs to be fixed up, Jessie and I duct tape the box together.
We talk about food, kids, life in her little air condtioned camp office . A beautiful person this Ms. Jessie Faye.
The next day I drive into San Angelo to the local library to post my blog, most libraries have access now, they made me get a card, so now I have a San Angelo library card. I post quickly, not much time, that’s why at times there are no pictures and the fact that I thought I could only post one as I learn as I travel.
I look up Kerrville Fork Festival, I need music, not sure about what Kerrville looks like on line, you never know, unless you risk adventure. Please take the risk!
About San Angelo, wide streets, long lights, but in the old part of town is Miss Hattie’s Cafe and Saloon, the cafe was originally a bank, the Bordello next store. The men would say they where going to the bank, then sneak though a secret door in the floor, then up and over the rooftop, across a wooden board to this “gentleman’s social center”. The bank would get a cut, the first franchise fees, at least you get something for it.
It was shut down after 50 years of business, there are tours, the food is excellent, Chicken Fried Steak and Iced Tea, it’s in my blood and the shops filled with western clothes, hats and boots. Everyone needs a hat in Texas. Boots too!
I eat and head south, my detour.
I am excited, I was one day out of Austin, now it will be 19 days later by the time I get to Austin.
South on SR 87, there are now Farm Roads, in West Texas they had Ranch Roads.
To Eden, the center of Texas, South on SR 83 to Menard, I spy a little Laundromat, a dusty little town off to the side, an old main street, wide with small flat roofed buildings, a few businesses. In the laundry is a poster of Bud Clark’s Expose Yourself to Art, he was our Portland Mayor, owns the Goose Hollow Inn, rode his bike to city hall as mayor, how did the poster get here. I talk to the people in the Pharmacy, small town talk, lots of time to chat, next door is a cowboy making saddles, he used to ride the open range, now a wife and boy in school, trying to stay close to home, nice leather work, we also talk spurs, Garcia spurs, the best are out of Elko, Nevada.

South to Junction, pass Cooper’s BBQ, one of the best in Texas, south to SR 41 E to SR 27E to Kerrville, South on SR 16 to the Kerrville Fork Festival.As I pull into the gate, everyone says “Welcome Home”
54.2 MPG, 242.1 miles traveled

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home