Monday, July 09, 2007

After a Long Day


North Durham, I pulled in late off Hwy 98 and junction of Rt. 70, looking for a motel, its late, I spot a Budget Inn, I circle back, go in, I see the reflection of a police officer in the back room watching TV, people in the lobby, on the balcony, looking out windows, I get funny looks, I have been around, just not in this neighborhood. The sign in the lobby says, “after 10 minutes, no refund”, $43 bucks buys me a room, what else? The first room I am is in the back building, I unload my stuff, is this a safe area, is my stuff in the car safe, is me safe, why thoughts like this after 9000 miles, I get inside, looks like the AC works, even if the top cover is beat to shit. I am fried after a long day, and need a couple beers and dumb TV for an hour or so. All I get is FM radio, no TV, I go see the manager, an older black man, seems like he wonders why do I have to deal with this guy, I am not sure if he is helping me or will come back, in the end I get a different room, but I forget to get my stuff, so I go back for the third time, a big cop takes me back this time, he asks where I am from, where am I going, then seems to realize I am not a local or a person that uses this motel for other activities, men looking out windows, each balcony is well staffed, women come and go. The new room, the TV works, being persistent does help, I learned this working for a Country Club, members do it all the time, and they get results. Me too. In North Durham.
The bed seems better too. And I am in the inner section of the motel, looks a little safer. I have a restless night's sleep for 6 hours, then up every hour, it's 7:30, so I am up and off to see friends, Brandon & Holly are folks I ran into camping in Utah, 6 weeks ago. While getting ready to leave the motel, I go to drop off the key, a young black woman, early 30’s, missing teeth, hovering about in lobby, tells me of the $3 key deposit, I ask the first person I see behind the glass walled barrier for my deposit money, she then disappears, then she’s back with something to sign,I get 3 bucks, go to walk away, the gal in the lobby tells me she needs money for biscuits, so I give her the 3 bucks, I leave, sitting in the car, getting ready for the day, she walks up, I’m looking at a map, planning my day, she tells me how much she likes the NW, she needs to move back home, out of the shelter, we talk, I am unsure where this is going, so we make small talk, then she leaves, nothing more. There is racial tension in this town because of the Duke scandal, there are two stories, a poor person’s word against students with money and connections,so this issue has people worked up, it’s going to be some time before things settle down.
I go to Biscuitville to get coffee, biscuits are big in the south, only Yankees eat toast, I am curious where the biscuits end and toast begins, the Mason-Dixon Biscuit Line maybe.
I meet friends in Carrboro, a fun, funky section of town, we have breakfast at the Co-Op and catch up on our lives.
Then we go to a fund raising festival for the Eno River, they are using money to purchase property and have hopes of a State Park, there are all sorts of crafts, lots of dancing and there is a working Grist Mill on the property. They are grinding wheat and corn, great to see passive uses of flowing water, and there are performers, too, Kerrville folks are there, Greg Klyma with his Kerrville mug, Jonathan Byrd and Dar Williams, fun, it’s a wonderful event with a great respect for the ways of the past.
Off to spend a couple of days in Gary, NC with Brandon and Holly, and their dogs Chaka, Tayma and Annie, they are gracious hosts, respectful and socially concerned, connected to their roots, family and friends, taking in a traveler, a stranger, we had meet out West, we talked for a few hours, had beers, and then watched the full moon come up in Bryce Canyon and as well had a good hike together in Zion, and now they have invited me into their home. While at their home we had a nice picnic, and played poker with friends, I enjoyed playing with the dogs, we listened to music, talked politics, and watched old movies. Brandon has started his own blog, excellent satire and dark stories, check him out at beardedtoad.blogspot.com
We have to seek faith in our fellow humans, trust our instincts, and take small risks, be aware, share, listen and love unconditionally.
52.4 mpg/ 60.3 miles traveled

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home