Thursday, May 11, 2006

On to Nevada, I think!

May 9th, All the passes are closed, choices are Bakersfield or up tp Rt. 88
The Tioga Pass is closed, still 14 feet of snow.
I retrace my steps north, up Rt. 120, down, down, down. Sometimes I get 69 mpg, then 73 mpg. Old Hwy 120 has a road, Old Priest Road 10% grade, the new is wild, this road is all brakes. Rt. 108 is closed, pass Sonora again, I am going North, towards Oregon, an pass Jimtown Frosty.
Jackass Hill up ahead, it’s the road to Mark Twain’s cabin. He stayed here 12/4/1864 to 2/25/1865, he heard the story at a local saloon about frog jumping. This inspired him to write “Jumping Frog of Calaveras”. On this hill backers would hail as many as 200 jackasses a day. Sonora has a jubelle yearly.
Right on Rt. 88, in a little burger joint called Giant 88, real big double cheeseburger and a malt, it’s after the lunch rush , the cook is eating, she goes behind the counter starts cooking my burger, I forgive you.
Up the mountins, pass snow covered lakes and sky resort cabins, on SR.89, pass a hot springs town called Markeeville, need to stop back there someday. Down a big grade to Rt. 395 S, views of Nevada, and the senery turns to high plains country.
On Rt. 395, running low on gas, I push ahead to Bridgeport, 5 hours to get to the same spot that the pass would have let me off. 200+ vs. 60 miles
Well I get to that spot, Two Lights come on, IMA and the engine light. Need gas, too.
Passing nobody towns, high priced gas, I drive, a little panic sets in, the phone has barely worked on my trip, the Verizon guy needs more help.
The car is running fine, I read about hybrids running without the electric cells,so I may be all right.
Do I know!
At Bridgeport I pull into a Shell $3.99a gallon, then a drive thru town, turn around, there a station at $3.95, there goes two $20’s.
I push onward pass dusty western towns were trucks pass you going 100mph, on to Cal. SR 167, then Nev. Sr 395 to Hawthorne, I had wanted to get to Caliente tonight, but left to late.
I listen to Doc Watson, call Jeff,I tell him where to find my body.
On to Hwy 95S, the truckers highway and cars to Las Vegas, all doing 100mph plus.
I pull into Tonopah, $29.95 a night, good enough for me.
60.3 mpg, 449.3 miles traveled

1 Comments:

Blogger monkeysnacks said...

yum. cheeseburger and malt. Mmm mmm.

I hope your car makes it okay! Maintenance lights scare me too!

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home