Thursday, June 07, 2007

On to Nevada, I Think!

On to Nevada, I think!
May 9th, All the passes are closed, choices are Bakersfield to the south or up to Rt. 88 north of here.
The Tioga Pass is closed, still 14 feet of snow.
I retrace my steps north, up Rt. 120, then down, down, down. Sometimes I get 69 mpg, then 73 mpg. Old Hwy 120 has a road, Old Priest Road it's a 10% grade, the new road is wild, this road is all brakes. Rt. 108 is closed, pass Sonora again, I am going North towards Oregon, lots of folks at the Jimtown Frosty.
Jackass Hill is up ahead, it’s the road to Mark Twain’s cabin.











He stayed here 12/4/1864 to 2/25/1865, he had heard the story at a local saloon about frog jumping. This inspired him to write “Jumping Frog of Calaveras”. On this hill backers would hail as many as 200 jackasses a day. Sonora has a jubilee yearly.
Right on Rt. 88, in a little burger joint called Giant 88, real big double cheeseburger and a malt, it’s after the lunch rush , the cook is eating behind the line, then she goes behind the counter starts cooking my burger, I forgive her.
Up the mountains, pass snow covered lakes and sky resort cabins,then on to SR.89, pass a hot springs town called Markeeville, need to stop back there someday.
Down a big grade to Rt. 395 S, views of Nevada, and the senery turns to high plains country.








On Rt. 395, running low on gas, I push ahead to Bridgeport, 5 hours to get to the same spot that the pass out of Yosemite would have led. 200+miles vs. 60 miles
Well I get to that spot, Two Lights come on, IMA and the engine light. Need gas, too.
Passing nobody towns, high priced gas, I drive, a little panic sets in, the phone has barely worked on my trip, the Verizon guy needs more help.
The car is running fine, I read about hybrids running without the electric cells, so I may be all right.
Do I know!

At Bridgeport I pull into a Shell $3.99a gallon, then a drive to the edge of town, turn around, there a station at $3.95, there goes two $20’s.
I push onward pass dusty western towns were trucks pass you going 100mph, on to Cal. SR 167, then Nev. Sr 395 to Hawthorne, I had wanted to get to Caliente tonight, but left too late.
I listen to Doc Watson, call Jeff,I tell him where to find my body.
On to Hwy 95S, the truckers highway and cars to Las Vegas, all doing 100mph plus.
I pull into Tonopah, $29.95 a night, good enough for me.
60.3 mpg, 449.3 miles traveled

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home