Tuesday, June 06, 2006

West Texas, lots of it!



Across West Texas May 23, 2006
Leaving Guadalupe, up early, beautiful sunrise, to lazy to take a picture. The wind blew all night shaking the tent , I was afraid to get up, thinking the tent would fly away.
Back on the road in a hurry, too windy for coffee making. North on SR 62, pass Nichol Creek, looks abandoned, I make for Ranch Road 652 to Orla, just a road nothing on it, taken this route to stay off the interstate. No stores, no coffee, I lost an hour due to time change, my goal is to get to San Angelo, one to two days then to Austin.
South on SR 285, I drive though Pecos, where the World’s 1st Rodeo started. Most of he stores were closed, for good, heading out of town, pass Interstate 20, there is a Wal-mart, gotta love the low prices. In February there’s a Texas Cowboy Poetry Gathering here
Down to Fort Stockton, its hot 93, need a lunch before the long drive across West Texas, where the wind blows & blows.
Drive though town, looking, then back pass, moments later the place is packed. Steakhouses and Mexican restaurants. In the SW, I should take advantage of my opportunities, there are lots of cars and trucks all around this little café. The screen door says open M-F, closed Sat-Sun. The front of the menu says,” our food is made daily with authentic ingredients. This is a local hot spot, I got in early, at least for me 11:30am. I picked the right place, the place is packed, mostly Latinos, locals and me, the tourist.
The name of this restaurant is Mi Casita, owned by Adonna Louise Gonzalez. Sauces are family recipes by her grandfather Eliborio Pena est.1992. This is the real deal. The salsa I excellent with the chips, a good sign.
Everyone drinks iced tea in the south, I order the Cancun special, spicy green chile sauce and mild red Chile sauce over beef enchiladas, Spanish rice and beans, all to too damn good, then the bill, $8.28.
Two days of Texas wind, my journal says” Quit blowing please”. Did I mention the heat, only 93, at noon!
On to Interstate 10, a few miles to SR 67, Texas takes two pages in the Rand Roadmap,
On to San Angelo, thinking I can be in Austin in a day or two. The scenery slowly changes, only wildlife I see is the roadkill, pass oil being pulled from the ground, the smell of gas in the air, a pleasant surprise wind power, what better place then West Texas. Pass Girvin, McCamey, Rankin, Texon, Best, Big Lake, Mertzon, Sherwood, Tankersly and at last San Angelo. Little restaurants to note, McComb’s BBQ in Rankin, in Big Lake Grandma’s claims to have the best burgers, The Yellow Rose Café in Barnett.
The park host in the Del Norte Park in California told me they host here to go to the North side of the state park here, nice place, I am again the only paying customer.
The wind and going downhill must have helped.
66.5 MPG, 368.6 miles traveled

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home